Monday, November 07, 2005

zzzz-ing

A friend lent me his book on sleep, and it's pretty cool. I know, I know, you're probably thinking, "Sze Wei? Sleep? She's always falling asleep, everywhere, wherever, anywhere--does she really need to learn more about sleep?!"

The answer to that is a resounding YES. James Maas, a psych professor at Cornell, works on sleep research, and his book "Power Sleep" debunks our myths about what sleep is, how it works, what are good sleeping habits, how to discern if you're sleep deprived, etc. , and I think it's starting to work for me. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060977604/qid=1131310473/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6735267-3108741?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

For the first time in my life, I'm waking up before the alarm rings (most days anyway)! I don't ever remember having done that before, and I'm starting to feel much better during the day. I went in to the health center because I was having insomnia and had felt perpetually fatigued for the past 2 months or so (yes, after turning in the A-exams), and they gave me 30 sleeping pills. 30 pills. Thirty.

I guess American-sized portions don't just apply to meal servings, they apply to medication too. Talk about excessive.