Wednesday, October 21, 2009

blahs again

I now expect to feel low the week after I finish a major project, so last week's fatigue was par for the course as the seminar presentation was a pretty significant piece of work and then I was sick with a bad cold as well. But I'm starting off this week still tired out and I have to grade student papers this week as well as try to to do my own work, and host a friend who's visiting from out of town. My life really could be worse, except that I need to work on my public voice because next week, we have another seminar with a couple of big names in political theory and it will be very odd if I don't ask a question or perform in some way. It will look odd because our guest speaker from Chicago will be speaking about race and I'm the only postdoc in the group who works explicitly on race. After SMS's lecture last week, I know she'll be watching to see if I'm going to open my mouth and not just speak but speak with confidence and sophistication. A part of me wonders how I'm going to pull off a miracle this quickly and it is weighing me down somewhat.

I'm very much looking forward to J. Yip's visit from Wed-Fri as he and his family now live in SA and we haven't seen each other in a very long time. This visit may also be the only visit for a long time too. I need to organize my time and thoughts, aaggghh!!!!

A lot has been going through my head the last few days but I haven't had the time or energy to write about them. Hopefully I won't forget since they are milestone-type insights.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for the miracle to happen!
    John's visit may provide you the creative spark you need make that quantum level leap in confidence. After all he works in SA and some stories he shares may be just the spark you need!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. :) it will be god's work, not mine and i don't think anyone can deny that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milestone type insights... want to hear those!

    I feel your pain. I share your nervousness on public speaking. I go through bouts of confidence, and then bouts of dripping with sweat at the idea of sharing my opinion or thoughts with more than two people at a time!

    Hope yours isn't that bad and that you can get it together!

    ReplyDelete