Sunday, November 22, 2009

more growing up

Kids are free to say "I don't want to friend you!" if they don't like someone and they are free to pout and turn away. Adults can't get away with that but it is also true that the older we get, the more likely we are to accept and be more generous to those who are different from us and that is a mark of maturity.

But then there are some people who make me feel conflicted because I don't how to interpret their actions toward me. Some people are nice to me because . . . . well, I don't know why. Well, sometimes I think they are nice to me because I have a car and they want me to drive all of us to this or that social event! Sometimes I think they are nice to me because . . . it somehow fits in with their sense of self and has little to do with who I am. Sometimes I think they are nice because they see it as part of what it means to be in a professional relationship. But I get confused because we are all "friends" as well, and not just colleagues.

I don't know how to react to people who are nice to me out of a sense of duty. And that only increases my cognitive dissonance because I am also nice to people out of a sense of duty. First, because it just takes too much energy to dislike someone, and second, because well, I've been given so many chances to grow and change that it would be uncharitable of me if I didn't extend the same grace to others.

But it doesn't change the fact that there are some people whose judgment I don't trust, and frankly, I don't trust that they want the best for me. I know that those with my personality type (INTJ) are naturally skeptical and that I should learn to trust others more and let them into my life. But I've also learned that I often have very good instincts and being guarded has its advantages. (I am still committed to learn how to take risks though.)

I don't know how to resolve this conundrum. On the one hand, I want to be nice and act out of grace. But on the other hand, I can't pretend to respect people I don't trust either.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting. One way I look at one aspect of this problem is that I show respect to people based on age position and past contributions even if I don't agree with or like them.
    e.g. a way off one ... I do not think highly a certain former PM :-) but if I were to meet him, I would accord him the highest respect respect due his age and past contributions to the nation, even if I have issues with him ...

    Of course the other stuff you bring up .... that's much tougher ... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) we're not required to be friends with politicians we don't respect or trust. ;)

    although i agree with you, we should show him respect for the reasons you've stated.

    on some level, i think we should respect everyone simply because they have been made in the image of god. but i would be much happier if i could be respectful and then keep my distance without giving offense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems you've fought this battle ever since you graduated from undergrad. I hope you find a nice balance.

    I think as long as you are polite, civil and respectful to everyone, if you don't care for them, you really don't owe them anything more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, except then i get two reactions:

    1. "You have no friends! You are so lonely!"

    or

    2. "We are friends but you are so cold and distant!"

    I've been told iterations of these two types of responses over the years and I can't find it in me to say, "Well, uhm, no, you're not a bosom buddy, so . . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that would be an awkward conversation...


    I guess at least they care enough to harass you ; ) I suppose you're just too popular for your own good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. no, i'm not popular. i think i just strike some ppl as a project, maybe. :) i do need to learn certain social skills.

    ReplyDelete