Monday, January 18, 2010

Settling in

I really love "A Slice of Infinity" because every now and then, one of their meditations will change the way I think. Here's a snippet from one of their recent posts:

To discover that there is a face inherently present behind many of the failures we long to forget, a Spirit within the crushed and wounded scenes we try our best to put behind us, and a voice that speaks over and above the cries that have indelibly marked our journey, is to experience the restorative hope of the creator who intended us to discover Him all along. The words of the psalmist describe waking to this knowledge: "It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them" (Psalm 44:3). Our days are marked with the intention of one who loves us. Our winding journeys are a means to the face of God.

My adjustment to my new city has been easier than expected and life here gets easier by the day and I know I'm lucky that it does. But every now and then, everything will seem strange and forbidding and all I want to do is go back home to KL. I just have to remind myself that God is here too and He is still with me.

I'm eating a lot of new foods and I'm very glad M_y is here. Without her friendship, I know I would be far lonelier. (M_y's an old friend from college who is a Hongkie.)

4 comments:

  1. Good news is that Malaysia is not very far away compared to USA and so a quick trip back home would be easier and cheaper.

    Just wondering. Do you teach English with a Malaysian accent? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're settling in... I'm sure the moments of "get me the hell outta here" will be fewer and fewer between!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i've definitely had a few "get me out!!" moments, how did you know??? and you're right, they've already lessened in intensity and frequency.

    when i'm teaching, all i think about is the next sentence that will come out of my mouth!! (mostly because i'm afraid that there won't be a next sentence . . . ) i spent 2 hrs yesterday taking notes on 12 pages of 1 out of 3 articles i've assigned for tomorrow. aaggh!!! can't do that or i'll never be done with prep work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes- talk about over preparing! Wow. That's intense. It sounds nerve-wracking, though, and I would probably do the same thing. Even with subbing long-term, I found myself way over-preparing. If you're anything like me, you'll probably keep the desire to over-prepare until time forces you to cut corners, and you find you do just as well, if not better, just trusting yourself and winging some of it.

    ReplyDelete