Thursday, April 08, 2010

scam?

I walked into a pharmacy the other day to get something and I walked by the aisle where they keep heat pads for muscle aches. Right below the heat pads were "foot detox pads." I had seen them before years ago but thought it was a scam then. I don't know what possessed me to buy a box, but I did and have been sticking them plasters at the bottom of my foot for four nights in a row now! The pads were originally created in Japan, I think, but they seem to be widely popular everywhere now. (Everywhere meaning HK, Malaysia, and the US.)

I don't know if this is a 21st C version of snake oil but I do know that I've been waking up before my alarm rings since I started using the pads! It's really weird. I usually have trouble waking up and staying awake and since getting here I've just been so sleepy all the time. But I haven't felt sleepy at all in the last four days!!! Being wide awake just reminds me of all the work that I'm not doing but I suppose this means that the pads are detoxing something, whatever that something is.

You're supposed to use the pads daily for the first two weeks and after that, once a week is fine. So I decided to stick it out for two weeks as an experiment. Maybe I'm awake now because I've been fatigued and sleepy for 3 months and my body decided that it was done being sleepy for awhile. So all this wakefulness could be coincidence.

---

Well, maybe I wrote this too soon. I had to go home and take a 30 min nap because my head hurts for no apparent reason. It's a little better now but not much better.

4 comments:

  1. Any medical friends who can give you their thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. :):) i do have a childhood friend who is now a doc but i'm afraid to ask him about this because i might come across as silly!!!!!

    i can just imagine the look of long-suffering patience on his face as he writes back about stuff like this. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the? Do they put cocaine or caffeine in the pads, and it like seeps through your skin or something?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha, it's bamboo vinegar. i'm using them sporadically now. waking up and staying up is a bit easier than before but i'm still not waking up when i'd like to and not as regularly as when i use the foot pads daily. :)

    ReplyDelete