Sunday, October 26, 2008

life is going well (most of the time)

Briefly, life as a postdoc is going well besides the fact that I'm finding it hard to work. There are days when I am just over the moon about what being here this year will mean--attending interesting lectures, working with a really friendly and supportive postdoc group, having access to a great library (even if I do prefer Cornell's), and the possibility that I will be able to learn more as I read, write, and teach. And I will be doing all this in warm and sunny Southern California!! (Never mind the high rent and the fact that everything is always at least a 30 minute drive away.)

And then there are days when I am inexplicably depressed and can't seem to figure out why I'm so down. Some people think it's just the post-big-project funk, and one person told me yesterday that it usually takes most people about a year to recover from dissertation writing.

I need to get my act together quicker than that, but mostly, I just want to enjoy my time here!!!! Theoretically, I know that I'm in a very good place but I want to feel good about it too every day!!! Every single day. Every single day.

Oh, and I absolutely adore my new faculty mentor. I think I have a girl crush on her. (For a definition of what a girl crush is, read this New York Times article.)

2 comments:

  1. "Girl crush" - I learned something new today ...

    "most of the time" is pretty good actually! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) well, i was trying to be positive by saying "most of the time." :):) still, i know that i have the luxury to mope. it could be worse, i could be teaching 2-3 classes this semester!!!!

    i like how the nytimes describes "girl crush." it doesn't reduce all emotion to sexual desire.

    ReplyDelete