Thursday, October 30, 2008

church-hunting

So, I guess I got stuck in the last church I tried out, i.e. I've been going to Alta_r (V_neyard affiliated) for the past few weeks now. I tried out one of their small groups (twice) and will be going to a small-group potluck tomorrow. I think I'll just stir-fry some asparagus in garlic and bring that. Don't feel up to anything that requires thought and preparation.

(Although, if someone wants to share their recipes with me, they'd be welcomed!)

That reminds me--I need to go grocery shopping tonight.

I don't know if I should stay with this church or keep looking. Finally, thankfully, heard their regular pastor preach this past Sunday. Prior to that, the youth pastor was speaking for a few weeks, and frankly, that drove me nuts. I think pastors employ a certain kind of rhetoric to reach out to "youth" and that's great but I don't really want to listen to it anymore. The regular pastor isn't bad.

But I must confess that it would be wonderful to find a congregation aimed at academics. I know, I know, you're rolling your eyes. But I hear so many different kinds of questions and positions in academia that I sometimes long for a pastor who would help provide some kind of perspective within that context. But I'm not saying that the pastor at Alta_r was irrelevant to me. In fact, he preached a pretty good sermon on discontent.

So I guess I'll stay on. The people in the small group are nice, especially J_n and his wife L_z, who host the group in their home. I suspect though, that I'm staying on because Alta_r's service begins at 6pm on Sundays (good for sleeping in and being lazy) and because I'm too lazy to find other churches and visit them.

4 comments:

  1. Might want to consider the church "hopping" visiting experience as a chance to get a wide spectrum of experiences ... but not for too long :-)

    Happy "hunting"

    ReplyDelete
  2. a friend from cornell (who did her MA there) is starting her phd here at UCLA, so we agreed to go to church together this sunday. she will be choosing a church. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm...looks like we're on the same sounding boarD :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking for a new church is complicated when churches are larger than 30. :)

    you need to join a small group in that case, and you need to go for a few weeks to see how you fit . . . that takes awhile.

    i'm tired, tired, tired.

    ReplyDelete