Friday, April 08, 2011

warm-up fast #2

1. I don't feel closer to God this time around and it doesn't help when you have a very busy day at work. Fasting didn't help me focus on God because I was running around too much. It didn't help my work either because every time I had a free moment, instead of thinking about the ideas I need to work on, I think about food and then think about how I shouldn't think about food. But I suppose people who have to go without food don't have the luxury of choice.

2. I wonder if it will be easier to fast when classes are no longer in session. I get grumpy when hungry and it is a lot harder to interact with students then.

3. Fasting really isn't fun. Spiritual disciplines are not "fun." This doesn't mean that everything that draws us closer to God should make us miserable. That would be an unhealthy view of a God who loves and draws close to us. But fasting as a spiritual discipline is not "fun" because it reminds us of the brokenness of a world where some people go hungry.

4. After I've stopped fasting, I start to feel afraid when I feel hungry again--even if I know that I can eat if I want to eat then. Imagine, then, the fear of those who cannot always satisfy their hunger as a matter of course.

4 comments:

  1. See? Fasting is having a spiritual effect on you! :-)

    3. Fasting really isn't fun. Spiritual disciplines are not "fun." This doesn't mean that everything that draws us closer to God should make us miserable. That would be an unhealthy view of a God who loves and draws close to us. But fasting as a spiritual discipline is not "fun" because it reminds us of the brokenness of a world where some people go hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmmm, then i don't know what the difference is between "spiritual" and "non-spiritual"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL ... If your fasting reminds you of the brokenness of a world where some people go hungry, then I think your fast has reaped a huge benefit.

    Years ago I used to get involved with Malaysian CARE's fast - they asked people to skip a meal and donate the money they would normally use for the meal to them for their ministries to the poor.

    That was meaningful as it was more important for people to feel hungry and better empathize with those who go hungry than give as lot of money and not feel the hunger. Our natural tendency I think is to just give a pile of money and think that is all that is needed.

    Just my 2 cents

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm, okay. will keep thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete