Monday, May 02, 2011

fantasies

When I was a teenager, I thought that I would have everything figured out by my twenties. When I was in my twenties, I thought, no, I don't have everything figured out but I will when I hit my thirties. I am now in my early thirties, and the world has never seemed more complicated, frightening, and tiresome.

My colleague got married yesterday, and I was the only one from the dept who was invited to attend the small ceremony and party. I was glad I could be there to offer my best wishes to the couple but I admit, I was also not going to tell anyone else from my dept that I was going to be there!

In light of the many awful things that go on in our world, this counts for very little. But it is also striking that even a simple gesture of offering one's blessings is so fraught in our very broken world.

(Was it an awkward kind of wedding anyway? Yes, but that is another story.)

2 comments:

  1. *Sigh* Am in my later 40s and I still haven't got my life figured out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:15 AM

    I'd like to hear the other story (awkward wedding story sounds interesting)!

    CF

    ReplyDelete