Monday, October 16, 2017

Falling Up

I'm going between a few different books now, but a visiting pastor to our church mentioned this book at least twice in his sermon, so it caught my attention. Richard Rohr on "falling up."

It's pretty complex for a Christian book. Most Christian books are DIY books. Here's how to change your life so that you'll be happier. And I love them because of course there are things that need changing in my life. And who wouldn't want to experience God more fully and completely?

But this book is different because it takes a more philosophical approach, at least from what I've read so far. Look at these myths in our society. They share these premises, and--of course--these desires are a desire for God.

I'm only at the beginning, and I should probably post about it later, but he seems to think that we need to experience X (security, laws, frameworks, mirroring i.e. deserved praise) when we are young. Those who don't experience those things can never move on to "Stage Two."

However, even those who experience X (or "Stage One") also need to move on to "Stage Two." He seems to draw from Carl Jung because he prefaces each chapter with a quote from Jung. I'm not familiar with Jung at all, but some basic ideas from psychoanalysis seem recognizable.

Well, I hope "Stage Two" blows my socks off or I'm going to hate spending all this time trying to understand "Stage One."


No comments:

Post a Comment