Sunday, June 25, 2006

Jude

I am in a chaos of principles--groping in the dark--acting by instinct and not after example. Eight or nine years ago when I came here first, I had a neat stock of fixed opinions, but they dropped away one by one; and the further I get the less sure I am. I doubt if I have anything more for my present rule of life than following inclinations which do me and nobody else any harm, and actually give pleasure to those I love best. There, gentlemen, since you wanted to know how I was getting on, I have told you. Much good may it do you! I cannot explain further here. I perceive there is something wrong somewhere in our social formulas: what it is can only be discovered by men or women with greater insight than mine--if, indeed, they ever discover it--at least in our time. "For who knoweth what is good for man in this life?--and who can tell a man what shall be after him under the sun?"

Jude the Obscure, Thomas Hardy.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sze Wei,

    Kenny (Phye Ken) from BUC here. We met through Wan Yi/John.

    How are you? Interesting page. Will try to visit more often.

    How's your PhD coming along?

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phye Ken! We met . . . 2 years ago, right? Glad to reconnect! I see you're lecturing now--that's pretty cool!!

    My PhD?? That's supposed to get me in the lecturing line . . . if I'm ever done (because the get *done*, you have to get *started* first).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, cool. Will have to call you Dr SW soon. Haha.

    I am a mile behind...just starting my LLM (Masters in Law) soon.

    Well, you'd be a welcome addition to academia.

    You bless God.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete