Thursday, July 06, 2006

random lists

Got this off Uncle Paul's site. More procrastination . . . (clap clap clap!)

AWESOME PEOPLE I WANNA TO MEET:

1. Martin Luther King Jr.
2. GK Chesterton
3. Dato' Onn bin Jaafar
4. Bailey and Dr Yang from Grey's Anatomy
5. Johnny Depp


THINGS I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT:

1. Broadband internet (that's connected to my laptop, of course!)
2. Badminton gear and regular games (with good ppl, hehehe)
3. GOOD FOOD, preferably Asian (if I really had to choose . . . bak kut teh, I think)
4. A good library (Cornell has over 7 million volumes! and there's inter-library loan!)
5. In KL, a car; in Ithaca, a cell-phone


I WISH I COULD:

1. Speak without fear, but also with grace and gentleness
2. Remember jokes and funny stories
3. Make a decision quickly and without agonizing over every possible outcome
4. Understand Derrida or Hegel or Kant on the first quick read (but I actually like Uncle Paul's "Understand everything I read!" . . . I just didn't want to copy him!)
5. Play (and win!) at international-level badminton tournaments


I WANT:

1. A job that pays decently, has high job satisfaction, but isn't too stressful and time-consuming 2. To be able to choose not to work :):)
3. To be able to sleep through the night without waking up even once
4. An environmentally-friendly vehicle that never breaks down and self-upgrades, and that will take me anywhere I want over land, water, and sky.
5. A multi-billionaire's home and playground (along with the maintenance crew) so I can invite friends over for holidays.


SONGS THAT I THINK ARE AWESOME:

1. Any song by Stuart Townend
2. "Held," Natalie Grant
3. "Complete," Parachute Band
4. "Hear Us from Heaven," Vertical Worship
5. "You are Holy (Prince of Peace)," Marc Imboden


HOW I SEE MYSELF IN 10 YEARS:

1. I have a super-straight back and don't feel muscle fatigue AT ALL (unlike now)
2. I will have stopped moving house every year (hopefully because I have my own apt!!)
3. Spending some time at Regent?
4. Only a little less fit than I am right now???
5. Still reading books . . . .


RANDOM FACTS:

1. I am unable to learn how to dance. Don't offer to teach me; I'm telling you, I can't dance.
2. Despite having a fear of heights, I've gone downhill skiing, snowboarding, wall-climbing, and sitting on a piece of cardboard, I've slid down a very, very, very high sand-dune (wiped out halfway and ended up with sand in every uncovered orifice). I will never go bungee-jumping.
3. I once liked the color blue--nearly every item of clothing I owned then was some shade of blue.
4. I love pulut hitam, and don't much care for red bean soup.
5. Long-term exposure to cats makes me sneeze violently and uncontrollably.


MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT ME:

1. I like to write.
The Truth: I hate writing. The process is difficult, torturous, and time-consuming. I think people who like to write need to have their heads examined.

2. I am really lazy.
The Truth: It's true most of the time, but not all the time.:)

3. I am a workaholic.
The Truth: I was a workaholic.

4. I don't like men (I know one guy who actually thought that, but it was him I didn't like)
The Truth: Some of the people I trust the most are guys, and I always have great guy friends around. I must admit I'm very impatient with certain kinds of guys though (e.g. those who think they are God's gift to mankind, and those who think women have been created lesser beings).

5. I want to have a high-flying career and be super-successful.
The Truth: This is the biggest misconception of all. I just want a quiet, easy life. I don't like the pressures of having to "make it" (whatever that means!) and be seen as someone well-known or powerful. I really, really, really don't care about that kind of stuff at all.

11 comments:

  1. these lists are contagious. I mean the act of actually sitting down and writing them. hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha . . . yeah, I know what you mean. i did mine in bits and pieces, not all at once, so it was actually fun and not stressful. made me think too.:):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:11 PM

    hmmm ... makes we realise how little i know you, as a friend.

    wanyi and I still owe you dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, no prob, free food is welcome anytime . . . still trying to figure out departure dates. MAS still hasn't called me back!!!!!! will call them on monday after your sister's wedding. tomorrow is going to be a l-o-n-g day . . .

    let me guess, you thought i liked to write???? :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:09 AM

    hey sweetie. are you back in the states? what's your number? would like to catch up. love, karen (khk@uams.edu)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:47 AM

    nope, i CAN tell you don't like to write.

    quite often your email are lamentations of how brain dead you are ... and that the 1 million word assignment is due in 6 hours.

    what surprised me is that you can't sleep through the night. you're under intense stress my dear.

    better have the dinner with us soon. you need to chill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi karen!

    din yo' mama ever tell you not to publish your email on a more or less public web page???? beware of spammers . . . :):) (anyway, i DO have your most recent email add.)

    nope, still in malaysia--trying to figure out departure dates with the airline . . . aaahhhhhhh!!!!

    will get a new cell when i get back to ithaca and will email everyone then. my verizon a/c expired last year.

    in the meantime, i'm having a blast over here . . . come join me!!! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey wallah,

    hahaha . . . you know, you guys may be one of the few ppl who actually believe that i'm under stress!! my schedule over here has become more and more relaxed--esp since the holiday may be over soon.:(

    but i am doing way better now . . . 7-8 months ago i was waking up at least 6-7 times every night. physical activity really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:16 AM

    heyo then, please erase my previous comment so spammers won't email me. thanks :)

    karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:53 PM

    I'm not sure *anyone* could understand Derrida, H and K on the first quick read! but yeah it's something great to wish for! ;>)

    but hmmm...how does the no.5 under "I want" align with the 5th Misconception...??

    finally, sigh sigh sigh...i envy your Cornell library experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. but what does having a billionaire's home have to do with not wanting a high-flying career, alwyn??? you never know, a multi-billionaire could decide to GIVE me his home+playground . . . stranger things could happen . . .

    (i hope bill and melinda gates are reading this!)

    ReplyDelete