Saturday, September 08, 2007

I'm so confused

I think this is my best year at Cornell yet. I'm so happy to be doing what I'm doing right now. But I can't deny that it stresses me out and I'm usually exhausted even when I don't have much to show for that exhaustion. This is really frustrating. The mood swings are still pretty extreme; one day I'm bursting with energy and enthusiasm, and the next day, it's all I can do to contain my tears.

I'm driving myself nuts.

Finally had the results from my sleep study back, and nothing seems to be the trouble. The doctor thinks that I wake up because of anxiety and stress, and that I'm just hardwired to go to bed late and wake up late. By trying to wake up at 7am I'm fighting against my own circadian rhythms, so he suggested using a lightbox. I guess I will try using the lightbox. It's either that or be like my friend J--she goes to bed at 4am and wakes up at noon.

Because circadian rhythms might be genetic, I have to use a lightbox for the rest of my life I want to keep waking up early. That, or find a job that doesn't start till 10:30am at the earliest!! Well, I'm thankful that I don't have sleep apnea or RLS!!

4 comments:

  1. what is a lightbox? Can't be a night life ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) no, it's a small box that emits bright lights that tell your body it's daytime.

    it's also used for ppl with seasonal affective disorder and depression. :)

    http://www.litebook.com/products/products.asp

    ReplyDelete
  3. interesting. I find that I can't sleep in when the sunlight hits the curtains (even if it thick). Genertally even when I am tired ... it's like my body says "time to get up" when the sun comes up ...
    I guess this lightbox must be based on this phenomena

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's exactly how it works! but i've used it for two days now and i'm not sure it works for me. i still feel sleepy again by 9am. maybe i just need to go to bed a little later and wake up a little later. sigh. this is quite frustrating.

    ReplyDelete