Monday, September 01, 2008

in LA

I got here safely as scheduled on Aug 26. Since my arrival, I've been busy buying and setting up furniture, replenishing my toiletries and kitchen stuff and getting my car serviced. Spent some time driving around with my mom and sis but since my mom was here longer, she got really tired of LA traffic. It really is horrendous. Everything is always a thirty-minute drive away because of the traffic. I hope I won't have to do much driving.

Don't have time right now to blog about the trip but I will say that we were all safe despite a couple of scares with the car. My itinerary was truly crazy and I hope I won't ever have to drive cross country again. If I do, it'll have to be a much shorter route with more breaks in between destinations. But really, I don't want to drive cross-country again.

As we all know, being with family can sometimes be difficult but I do miss my family now especially because I still have to find new friends and orient myself to the place.

And it really doesn't help when I have to start writing again tomorrow. It was impossible to work during the cross-country trip and now I have to get back into gear. I think I'm about half to two-thirds done with unpacking. I hope. But I do have my home office set up now.

I miss Ith_ca.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:30 PM

    good to hear you made it there safely. you know, once you settle in, you probably won't miss ithaca that much.
    how many miles did you clock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. forgot to note down mileage but i'm pretty sure it was about 4,000 miles at least!

    we took a wrong turn that put an extra 3-4 hours drive on the journey. sigh.

    hopefully i settle in very quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4,000 miles. wow!~ long trip ..

    Hope you settle down soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:21 AM

    I miss good old friends....and sometimes I miss Ithaca, but I don't miss graduate school. I'll pray that God provides you with lots of fellowship and a church soon, and that your dissertation will be completed smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can't wait to finish the dissertation . . . i pretty much slept the entire morning away. ARGH.

    and yes, i would love a fellowship and church soon. i emailed two groups on campus and neither replied.

    ReplyDelete