Wednesday, September 10, 2008

nothing new

Still trying to finish the dissertation. Writing sucks. I've decided that I will be happy if I write two pages a day.

This past Sunday, I went to a Vin_yard church and an English service at a Chinese church close to my apartment. The Vineyard is a bigger church with more ministries, of course, and they were quite hospitable too. Their pastor made it a point to invite new people to a brief get-to-know-you session after the service.

I've always felt awkward at Chinese churches here in the US but it is closer to my apartment. The English-speaking congregation is very small and I got the feeling that they weren't used to having visitors. :)

But I suppose I should give both a chance. The Chinese church has a small group that meets on Friday nights so I'll check it out this week. I prefer to attend a church that is close to my apartment and I think Vineyard is about as far as I'll drive (about four miles from my apartment). I've also emailed a couple of fellowship groups at UCL_ but haven't gotten a single reply. Can't help making comparisons with CICF at C_rnell. Not replying to an email inquiry would be unheard of at CICF.

2 comments:

  1. I am flipping throught his book called "The Unauthorised guide to choosing a church". Focus drrmd more on pointing out the distinctives of various denominations (beliefs, practices etc)

    But I wonder how many choose a church primarily for such reasons.... I think most would choose a church based on 1. how comfortable / welcome they feel 2. worship style. 3. the preachers preaching style / type of sermons

    Happy "church hunting" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) yes, i think the three factors you listed are PRECISELY what will influence my decision.

    at this point, both churches have similar worship styles. the vineyard's pastor is a little long-winded, but the sermons at the chinese church are more "brethren-style."

    by that, i mean that the "arguments" in the sermons are more judgments or poor summaries of positions that other churches/movements might take.

    the sermons are always well-meaning but tend to provoke guilt rather than offer guidance.

    we'll see how next week goes.:):)

    ReplyDelete