Wednesday, March 18, 2009

confusion



I bumped into my mentor outside my office building when I was coming back from the library and we had a conversation about "the decision." I love talking to her--she's so calm and wise and optimistic.

My church home group will also be praying with me about this. The group leader is someone I respect and I think he has something to say about something new related to "the decision" so I hope we'll get to talk before others get to his house for this week's meeting. I love carrying J's (the group leader) and L's (his wife) baby so if I go earlier, I'll get to hold the baby before the others get there. Muahahaha . . . . . (that's the sound of evil laughter, btw.)

Oh, a funny story: I had to call my mentor's name a couple of times before she realized it was me. Then she said, "Oh, hi! I wasn't looking . . . . You look like a little girl in your jeans!" Great, thanks, just what I wanted to hear.

It's fine to look "young" but I don't particularly want to look too young. I usually dress up when I teach or when I have to attend lectures but now that the winter quarter is over--I have to grade final papers, ugh!!--I've reverted to my student clothes.

3 comments:

  1. Little girl? hahahahaha ... well your petite size does help influence the young look :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) clothes maketh the woman.

    i know i need to dress "up" even if it just means pants and a shirt, but i get lazy if i think i won't run into anyone i know. and plus, i don't have to iron t-shirts and i do need to iron shirts/pants. more work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is strange for me that I now live in a very casual culture (in terms of dress)- young people for example can be up on stage in shorts during church service and no one bats an eye lid. Many older preachers even dress very casually (short sleeves, not tie etc)... but I tend to dress more formally here...

    Somehow when I "dress up", it comes across very positively with many people - young and old. So it is not unusual to see me with a coat and tie or in more formal shirts (thank God that I now have 5 batik shirts and a few "cultural / ethic?" shirts - this is also considered quite formal and dressed up :-)

    Dressing up a bit for me has become a worthwhile activity :-)

    ReplyDelete