Thursday, April 23, 2009

another epiphany


Can't seem to focus on an appropriate update for the present moment so I will just mention one of my new resolutions: practice random acts of hospitality.

During my trip to the UK, I had to be in Belfast for a couple of days and as it turned out, my sister's pastor's wife's family lives in Belfast, so my sister made arrangements for me to stay with her pastor's wife's brother and his family. When I got to Belfast, however, I found out that my sister's pastor's wife's brother's wife was just starting work again after a year's maternity leave, so it was difficult for them to host me and told me that my sister's pastor's wife's father, who is also my sister's pastor's wife's brother's father, will be hosting me instead. I was a little apprehensive by that point and imagine how I felt when my sister's pastor's wife's brother drove me to my sister's pastor's wife's father's house and my sister's pastor's wife's father said, "There's too much construction going on at our house so we're heading over here."

Finally, I ended up staying at my sister's pastor's wife's father's tenants' apartment instead. David (my sister's pastor's wife's father) is an architect and he was building an additional floor to his old farmhouse and had remodeled the barn where he milked cows as a kid into a lovely little two-story place. The tenants, Ed and Kate and their little baby Elijah, had an empty guest room and they hosted me for the two nights I was there. None of the people who fed me and who drove me around the city had ever met my sister before and I have never met my sister's pastor or his wife! We were utter and complete strangers.

My three weeks of travel were wonderful in many, many ways, but this short part of my trip affected me profoundly. I spent many hours talking to these folks over meals and tea and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was truly an unexpected holiday.

2 comments:

  1. That is a great story!! Permission to share it one day?
    I am working on trying to get my members to reach out and do some kind of "random acts of kindness" thingy.

    One couple in my church (a retired Fiji pastor and wife, and her single daughter) have been hosting someone they do not really know for 4 or 5 months now - FOC out of compassion. I think this house "guest" is abusing their hospitality and they are not unaware but their hearts are so BIG. Amazing ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) haha, you can share it as long as you don't use my name! My post is an abridged version because I don't have the emotional space to go through everything and in any case, a blog's not a great platform for those stories.

    These people were wonderful, friendly, and warm with their stranger-guest (me). And even when we did disagree on some political questions, the discussions were among the best I've had. The tone of the discussions was civil and thoughtful even when it was clear that we were deeply passionate about our own positions!!!

    I don't know if I can host even my best friends for 4-5 months though . . . . That's a very long period. Well, maybe I can work up to it--hence the accompanying picture and caption to the blog post!! One step at a time. :):)

    Life is truly great right now.

    ReplyDelete