Saturday, August 29, 2009

great way to end a sluggish week

"I like the book project. Very impressive and original."

Unfortunately, that didn't come from a potential publisher but it's nice to have that affirmation even if it admittedly comes from one's committee member who is not really in one's field . . . . it is nice after a week of not-terrible-but-at-the-same-time-not-so-great news and poor or slow productivity. My 18th C Brit Lit adviser is super-experienced but she has always been super-supportive as well so while I think that she can be honest, I also think that she would be harsher on me if I had worked on her area of research simply because she knows a ton more about what goes on in her area than in mine.

Well, all this is to say that I'm not convinced that my project is either impressive or original but I'm glad someone else thinks it is!

I'm leaving work early today to start cooking for a group of friends and unfortunately, two people just told me that they're coming too, and that brings my party up to FOURTEEN. Gosh, I hope I have enough food for 14 people. Oops, 15, including myself. I planned this dinner for about 8-9 and then kept inviting one or two extra people and now I have to go get extra food, I think. I definitely won't have enough pineapple cookies. Of course everyone asks if they can bring something and because I thought the group was going to be small, I said, oh no, don't worry, it's a simple dinner. But now I really wish I had asked them to at least bring drinks!!!

3 comments:

  1. when you get published one day, the public will decide how good your writing is :-)

    if you can post some pictures of your party food

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i get published one day . . . . that would be what i would be afraid of. :):) really. academia is apparently incredibly harsh.

    i was so late with my cooking that i had no time to take pictures!!!! the only thing that was passable in my mind was the curry puff--made the filling but then used argentinian empanada skins (more like puff pastry) because it was easier. can just put in oven.

    hokkien mee was not really like hokkien mee but it was edible enough. i was tempted to hide it but my small group members had seen me cooking it (i was SO late) and brought it out anyway. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea does sound impressive and original. I can't wait to read it! In hard back, of course.

    ReplyDelete