Friday, October 08, 2010

injured

My shoulder has been hurting for a couple of weeks and I finally went in to see the physiotherapist who told me not to do any exercise that requires vigorous movements or heavy lifting with my right arm for 1-2 weeks. I've never hurt my shoulder before and when she told me I shouldn't play badminton this weekend, my head had a hard time processing her words.

I think I sprained my shoulder from a combination of carrying heavy bags of groceries and books, trying to learn a blocking move in wing chun, and from falling so much (and therefore needing to pull the sail up) during my windsurfing course and exam. Two weeks isn't very long at all but it feels like a century. She did say that if my should seems better next week, I may be able to play again. I've never ever been told that I cannot play because of an injury and the pain's not fun to live with. In the meantime, I'm taking ibuprofen with my meals, icing my shoulder when I can, and stretching it gently when my arm starts to feel numb from working at the computer.

 I can't imagine how people who have chronic pain live their lives because I am grumpy enough as it is.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your injuries. Get well soon .... a sign that you are getting older?> :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) i am usually excited about getting older (and implicitly wiser, or at least a little more experienced!) but not this time. i've stopped taking ibuprofen because the inflammation has gone down a bit but now i feel the weight of the stiff muscles.

    ReplyDelete