Wednesday, October 19, 2011

well-meaning

Do you have well-meaning friends who take the time and trouble to give you good advice but sometimes it feels misdirected? I'm thinking of a sweet old friend who recently suggested that I check out a popular Bible study group guide (BSF, for those of you in the church circles) and I'm thinking, "Are you for real?" Something like that would put me to sleep and make me impatient with Christianity.

It's like someone saying to a health-freak, "Hey, have you heard of granola bars? You should try them, they are a really health way to snack!" Sure, granola bars are probably better than potato chips or candy corn but fyi, granola bars, especially the commercial kinds, are terrible for you because they have a ton of corn syrup in them. So if you're trying to snack healthy, and you absolutely love granola bars, do yourself a favor and grab the kind made by an organic company and check the label to see how much sugar it has. Better yet, just eat a piece of fruit!! (I carry organic granola bars for hiking trips when fruit is too squishy or heavy to carry around.)

Okay, so maybe BSF isn't best compared to a granola bar and I'm sure courses like Alpha and BSF are great for some people but I prefer to read actual books. I get enough of talk in my work.

If you've never seen candy corn before, here's a picture. I liked them in college but the thought of eating a single candy corn gives me a headache. (My poison of choice is potato chips.)

2 comments:

  1. I have decided to eat more healthy snacks - oat and bran based etc but they taste dry and yuck ... so I tried "nice and natural" brand nut bars - no artificial colours or flavours ...... all natural ingredients but so tasty ...How can that be?

    LOL! cause the nuts are { ...honey toasted ... with a yummy caramel syrup". hahaha. I think I will end up eating more and getting fatter with all the wonderful tasting sugar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, yeah, be careful!! always check the sugar content!!!!!

    ReplyDelete