Saturday, March 05, 2016

Faith and Global Initiative

All day retreat with Christian faculty from universities in Hong Kong led by Paul and Sarah Williams at CUHK.

What am I choosing?
What am I valuing?
What am I yielding?

I am learning from these speakers to rethink how I think of freedom and choice. God calls us as individuals but he also calls us to be in relation with him and his people. I also like Paul's response to why we struggle so much--because it drives us to depend on him and the body of christ. If we are made completely whole, we might be tempted to be independent.

Both speakers are also calm and measured, and I feel like I am too anxious and rushed in comparison.

Desire for status and mastery are not part of God's design of the world because it dehumanizes others.

The sabbath is not a time of rest so that we can begin laboring again the next day. That's an instrumental view of the sabbath. Instead, the sabbath is a celebration of God's work, and it is a time we can play as an act of worship. When we go back to work the next week, we are joining in the work that God has already completed. What a wonderful view of God's work and how He calls us to participate in His work!


No comments:

Post a Comment