Monday, May 23, 2016

Season of small mercies

Sprained my knee on April 19, so it has been almost five weeks to the day. I walked uphill to work this morning with almost zero pain, but it does still feel awkward. Almost as if my knee is out of place. There's still some clicking when I walk. But I'm thankful that the pain has been reduced greatly over the weekend.

Not pleased about missing basically all of dragon boat season now. Even if I can start exercising again next week, I can't possibly race in June.

The last five weeks have been very hard. The only thing I can look forward to now is hoping that I'll be able to get back to court in the very near future. I'll see the Alternative Doctor again this Friday.

Things I've learned:

- when you have a traumatic injury to a joint that you use all the time, "rest" is not at all restful.

- fish soup.....fish soup is healing and I wish I had started drinking earlier than the 4th week of injury.

- strangers can be very kind and very considerate.

- but there are some who just don't give a shit and will walk very fast close to you, cane or no cane.

- taxi drivers and minibus drivers in HK need serious counseling. They should be made to pass a mental health exam before being allowed to drive.

- friends are great to have, but I'm learning that some friends aren't very good at being empathetic. In facts, some are just downright terrible at it. Sigh.

- I'm going to start with calcium supplements. And add more veggies and nuts to my diet.

- I love badminton.

No comments:

Post a Comment