Friday, December 16, 2016

Being a kid for a bit



A few lessons from the year as it comes to a close:

-        It’s okay not to know how to do something. How I learned this?

o   Because mentors like T, Dav, and Chars stepped in to teach me stuff I didn’t know how to do, and I didn’t feel embarrassed or like I was a failure. It was okay not to know.

(Dav, in particular, is cheerleader extraordinaire.)

Isn't this a part of being a kid? Kids don't know how to do everything, but they can learn if they're taught.


-        It’s okay to be a kid. How I learned this?

o   Phi finding and organizing a discounted chicken dinner, or M bringing me along when she checks out a new sushi place.
o   Phi taking Heej and I around Tomorrowland, and us having fun despite our cynical academic selves. Heej really got into the ride where we had to shoot at targets. (But I got a higher score.)
o   Phi helping me unbuckle my seat belt at the Ironman ride.

I don’t need to always have it altogether or know everything. 

And it’s okay to take care of others because they will take care of themselves too. We just take turns doing it. It's not just one way.

Finally, thanks to Iv, whose VIP passes motivated Heej and I to play hooky. Oh, the delicious irony of teachers skipping out of work early to play during exams week.


Oh, and last thought: it mattered that we were physically acting like children. Our minds and bodies work together. I don't think I would have come to these realizations if I hadn't actually been playing. It's just like how the act of going to church on Sunday actually matters. God is not legalistic, but he did make us "whole," that is, with both our minds as well as our physical bodies and they work together. The Cartesian mind-body split diverts us from God's design.


No comments:

Post a Comment