Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Old interview with Eugene Peterson



The interview is worth reading in full. I'd paste it here, but it's far too long. I praise God for the example of this man's life and words.


"Sometimes I think all I do as pastor is speak the word “God” in a situation in which it hasn’t been said before, where people haven’t recognized his presence. Joy is the capacity to hear the name and to recognize that God is here. There’s a kind of exhilaration because God is doing something and, even in a little way, it’s enough at the moment."


In a way, so much of what Peterson talks about--planting, waiting, trusting, believing, praying, and all of this always in community--is what LB2 is all about. I'm in awe of how God patiently speaks to us over and over again. This interview was published in 1987!!


"The assumption of spirituality is that always God is doing something before I know it. So the task is not to get God to do something I think needs to be done, but to become aware of what God is doing so that I can respond to it and participate and take delight in it."



No comments:

Post a Comment