Sunday, July 09, 2006

P & R

A couple of my friends got married yesterday (to one another), and the ceremonies went really well. The schedule was crazy:

6am: I got a cryptic sms from the bride asking me to bring sweets . . . I thought that there was some obscure Chinese custom we had to follow and panicked because I couldn't imagine going out to buy nice candy that early in the morning. It turns out she just wanted me to bring mints along for the day so she and the groom wouldn't get bad breath. They didn't get bad breath.

8:30am: After a few calls to the groom's party asking them NOT arrive at the bride's house on time because we were late preparing their breakfast (bittergourd jelly, wasabi vanilla ice-cream, apple-cider shots, and multiple-sugars cocktail), and random other latenessess. The groom succeeded in "liberating" the bride from her "exile," (as he called it) and the tea ceremonies at both bride's and groom's houses went off well.

11:40am: I managed to walk down the aisle (as bridesmaid) without tripping. Haha! I broke my chiropractor's rule and wore high heels (that weren't that high) to walk down, but immediately took them off when I got to my pew seat. No one stood up to object to the marriage, vows were recited, and the bride was kissed.

about 2pm: After final photo sessions, the bridal party finally went down for some lunch (the yummy pasta was all gone--it was apparently delicious) . . . had two bites and then noticed that the bride was going round mingling, so i went to help her with her dress, and then discovered that the organizing committee was tussling with a problem and went up to help but of course, I wasn't much help.

4:30pm: We finally got to the hotel after a belated quick lunch at the groom's house, and a battle against pollen smears (we lost). Showered and managed to rest for a bit before I went to the bridal suite to keep the bride company while the make-up artist fixed her hair and make-up for the dinner. Hand-fed the bride a banana while she fielded last minute organizational calls.

8pm: After much impatient waiting about by the bride, she finally made her grand entrance to the dinner.:):) Everything went really well; everyone looked beautiful and happy. The photographers got together a slide show of pictures from the day's events, and they were amazing--really the best wedding pictures I've seen.

1:30am: Finally got home, but after-party celebrations ended only at about 3:30am.

Too tired to write anymore now. Get details from the others.

Today: I actually woke up in time for church. The new wife is now down with a sore throat and cold, and I think I caught it too. How many did she infect last night during her rounds of toasting, kissing, and hugging??

What I liked best about the day was being able to watch how the bride enjoyed her day. She was so joyful, and radiant, and excited (I don't think I've ever seen her that excited!!), and bubbly, and beautiful. I'm so glad to have been part of their day, I really am.

. . . especially after all that angst about having to dress-up and put make-up on . . . it really was worth it. :):):)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:28 AM

    ya. she was really happy. i'm happy for them too.

    ReplyDelete