Thursday, September 21, 2006

are you a student?

When I entered the classroom today, one of my students raised his hand and asked: "Are you a student?" I kinda looked down at my clothes (sneakers, 3/4-length pants, ratty t-shirt, and fleece vest), laughed, and said, yes, I'm a fifth year PhD student. They started laughing and said things like, oh, we didn't think you were a student, we thought you were a professor.

Most freshmen students will call their grad student instructors "professor" because they can't tell the difference, and it's nice when that happens. :) That means I'm doing something right!

I usually don't have disciplinary problems in the classroom, so I'm quite happy to be more or less informal with them. But right after that conversation, they were still chatting when I wanted to start class, so I grabbed my library book and slammed it on the table really, really hard. That got their attention alright. :):)

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Z! Way to be authoritative!

    Don't feel bad about your youthful looks- I've been confused for my HIGH SCHOOL students! I kinda like it ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool ... especially with the fashion sense. And what a way to assert your feminity!

    actually when do we stop being "students" huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha . . . actually, they must've thought me older than i am, because they confused me for a PROFESSOR . . . few ppl get to be profs at 28.:):)

    kinda regretted slamming the book on the table though. did it because i liked the thought of slamming a book on the table (yeah!!), but there are other ways of getting students attention. other more elegant ways, definitely. hahahah . . . but it's okay, we're all learning . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes silence works, too... with a cool, steely gaze at the more chatty ones. Raise one eyebrow when the offender finally look at you, then begin. Also very dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:30 PM

    Thank God for the library and free books.

    Wouldn't care to slam any of my own books, paid for with hard-earned moolah!

    ReplyDelete