Thursday, September 14, 2006

chaos revisited

I can't wait to get home for winter break this year. Ithaca's been really good so far, but I'm beginning to feel a little tired now. I'm leaving this weekend for a badminton tournament in Rochester, so I have to finish a whole bunch of work before I leave.

And when I get back on Monday, my kids will be turning in their second paper, so I'll be grading, grading, grading again! Still, they've been wonderful in class so far. I got a bunch of interested, responsible, and engaged students this semester, so teaching is fun and exciting.

The house is reading applications by high-schoolers applying to Cornell, and to live in the house, so I have to finish reading 42 application packages by this Fri. I've gone through about half, and they're pretty much all really brilliant and interesting. They've all gone through the summer version of what Telluride House is during the academic year, so I'm not surprised at the strength of their writing. And they all seem to be really nice human beings too.

Anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Winter Break!?! The semester has barely started ; ) lol.

    Well, glad you've got a good crop of kids this year. Should make it go by faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know, this is just the start. urgh.

    part of me wants time to slow down because i'm so busy with all these things and yet i don't get to focus on my own work.

    i hope my kids start learning how to write clear, interesting essays really fast--now, that would make my life much easier

    ReplyDelete
  3. Touche!

    Hmmm... gotta find time for number one! Don't give so much to others that you have nothing to give to yourself. I think it's as necessary as sleep, food or badminton... put it in your schedule!! First x minutes of everyday or something...?!

    My two cents.

    ReplyDelete