Wednesday, March 28, 2007

looking in the mirror

Last weekend, after a phone conversation with an old friend, Karen (currently in Arkansas), I had to face up to the fact that I'm less logical than I'd like to believe. I don't mean to say that there aren't reasons that inform my thoughts and actions, but that those reasons follow the "logic" of the situation less than they do the logics of my heart. By that I mean that the values I hold important will motivate the decisions I make.

To me, my decisions are highly logical, but they are often logical only within the value-system that makes up my world-view and they may not always seem logical to someone else. But besides that, without consciously choosing to do so, I will make decisions that will cause the least emotional disturbance in my life. And to me, that is also very "logical" but someone who does not share the same fears or joys will not think me very "logical." :)

In other words, my emotions and intuition are often dominate my thought-processes rather than the "cold hard facts" (if it's every possible to see the world that way!) of what's happening "outside" of me.

This explains why my old college buddy, Cat, often had to stop me from time to time and give me "the look." She gives me "the look" whenever I'm doing something that makes perfect z-sense, but can often be strange or sometimes inappropriate to everyone else.

Thank God for friends like Cat and Karen who help me become more adept at navigating life!

6 comments:

  1. This is interesting and makes sense I think my thought processes sre very influenced by my values .. bit heavy thinkng though for me so early in the morning - sometimes my thought processes are definitely influenced by the quality of my sleep :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too! i'm a much nicer person when i'm not stressed, not hungry, and not sleep-deprived. these days, though, i don't have to worry about food deprivation . . . i really must get serious about trying to fast as a spiritual discipline.

    actually the thoughts in this post were inspired by the myers-brigg test. i'm an INFP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:49 PM

    it has helped me to know that even God's logic is 'controlled'/framed by love (did dat come out too awkwardly?), though that's by no means the path of least-resistance...

    love God and neighbout, and try to act logical - in that order(?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, you should put up a link for that myers-brigg test... I'm curious to see what I am...

    I didn't realize I gave you a "look", Z!... I didn't know I even had a "look"! Wow, I have my own patented Cat-look! Cool! I don't think I'd be giving you any looks nowadays, though... I have a feeling I'm not too logical these days either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. alwyn: that's a good way of thinking about it! sometimes though, i probably act out of selfishness . . . :)

    cat: i found a free one at this website -- http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

    have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Z! I'll check it out : )

    ReplyDelete