Friday, April 13, 2007

good thought

Thanks for the concern. :) I am feeling a bit better, and having folks commiserate is always helpful!

I was talking to someone last week about this, and he said something that stopped me short for awhile. He said, "Well, if you could be writing, you'd be doing it already."

If I could do something, I'd be doing it already? In other words, I'm not doing whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing (reading, writing, whatever) because I'm not ready to do that very thing.

This smacks suspiciously of grace to me, although my friend did not use that word. It reminds me most of Brother Lawrence's reminder that we can "only grow as fast as grace allows."

Whenever I struggle to do something, or when I'm procrastinating, my first impulse is to condemn myself for indiscipline and laziness. And hey, maybe it is laziness. I'm not absolutely convinced of the truth of my friend's comment.

But I'm willing to think it over.

7 comments:

  1. For myself, I've found that when I force something, it comes very slowly and painfully, but if I take a break from it and veg out for awhile, then return to it, I have all these ideas and stuff... so maybe it's grace, maybe it's laziness, but either way, it works! : )

    Glad you're feeling a wee bit better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha . . . a rose by any other name . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:13 AM

    Your friend is probably right. I found myself struggling with the same thing for a few months because I was waiting for results and I had to read up. Once I had what I needed, I mustered the discipline to write. Preparation is necessary. Perhaps, you still need direction and preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) thanks, sy, i definitely need more direction! i'm feeling the promptings toward *a* direction, but i'm not quite sure that's where i really want to go, and not really sure where "where" is either!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. test came thru fine . . .:p

    ReplyDelete
  6. excuse the test ... this Windows Vista is such a pain ... it would not recognize my blogger identity ... now it can again ...
    got so frustrated trying to post and find it rejected :-(

    Previously it suddenly could not detect my digital camera when it used to be able to do so ... then a few days ago ... back to normal ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha . . . ppl like you will help make windows vista better for ppl like me (i.e., ppl who won't be getting vista until much later)!

    ReplyDelete