Thursday, April 26, 2007

photos from puebla




I didn't have time/energy to be very touristy when I was at the American Comparative Literature Association (ACLA) annual meeting in Puebla, Mexico. Anyway, there are a few more photos, but not very many. I had a great time at my panels (very productive questions from the audience!!) and I had a lovely time just walking around town and EATING every 20 minutes or so.

I felt constantly full the few days I was there because I just had to try everything I saw. Great pastries, tamales, quesadillas, tacos, churros, and oh, the hot chocolate for dipping churros was so thick it resembled pudding! Not super-sweet like American hot chocolate but thick and chocolat-ey like you wouldn't believe!

Can't resist saying again that I was so very glad to have gone to the conference. The questions I got after I presented my paper were very helpful and I'm so much more interested in this chapter than I was before. Maybe I'm not crazy, and maybe I won't have to throw away what I've written so far, and maybe I don't need to start all over again!!!!!!! Maybe I'll even have fun writing this second chapter.

You don't know how relieved I am.

I also saw some old friends who had graduated and moved on to professorial positions at Yale, University of Pennsylvania, and Amherst College. A couple of them I hadn't seen for 4 years! Chi-Ming and Javier were in their last year of their PhD program when I was a first-year graduate student. It was lovely to see them again, they're all such amazing people. And so generous and wise with advice. :)

8 comments:

  1. Yay, Z! Glad to hear your trip was so productive... and apparently yummy! Mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i think i've been packing on too many pounds!!!! now i'm the one with the sugar craving!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aarrrrghhh1 my comments got deleted - same problem

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok ... now that it is back ... was saying that I am glad that you had both a fun as well as productive trip. That's getting rare nowadays :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha . . . do you mean that *I* rarely have a fun and productive trip, or that *most people* don't have fun and productive trips????

    :) well, actually, come to think of it, all of my "business trips" have ALWAYS been fun and productive!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most people either have business trips - mostly work and little play or fun trips - a lot of work in order to play ...
    I am glad you are an exception! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha . . . i guess so.:) i'm starting to understand why ppl complain if they have to travel a lot for work. long drives or plane rides can really be fatiguing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's funny, Z, cuz I haven't had candy in awhile... I passed my addiction on to you!! : )

    ReplyDelete