Friday, April 18, 2008

oh dear lord . . .

I'm so thankful for Prof L. I had a meeting with her last week, and she was really concerned about how I was doing. I'll say that again. She was really concerned about how I was doing.

Apparently, she was in my position when she was finishing her PhD . . . and she said that she'd never worked so hard before and she has never worked that hard since then, and that this kind of life is really unsustainable. I'm taking that as a promise that I will never ever have to work this hard EVER again!!!

Academia really is not worth it if you have to work this hard for so little pay. I want a life. I need a life. I really cannot wait to finish this dissertation.

Well, I turned in a version of Chapter 3 yesterday afternoon (no conclusion yet). And I've finished reading the novel that is the focus of Chapter 4. Graded four papers this evening (I want to strangle some of those students!!!!!). Not bad, considering that I've been watching a lot of TV in bed . . . too tired to even stay upright.

Too exhausted to even think about going for a run or doing pilates this evening and I love to exercise.

3 comments:

  1. Stay strong and finish the race well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will survive.... somehow ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :):) thanks.

    i just hope that prof L is right, that i will never work this hard again in my life!

    ReplyDelete