Saturday, June 06, 2009

conversations

I went to a very interesting roundtable yesterday that composed of representatives from the Abrahamic religions: A Rabbinic professor from the American Jewish University, Richard Mouw (the president of Fuller Theological Seminary), and Dr Saddiqi (scholar and president of the North American Fikh Council). Each representative both insisted that they believed that their interpretation of the scriptures is the right one but all three also insisted that they were there to work for peace. Very interesting.

I was especially interested by Mouw's mention of an event at Fuller where they brought Islamic scholars to campus so that their students could learn more. He thought that Christians have the responsibility to speak for truth and that they would bear false witness if they allowed slanders against Islam to pass.

(I don't remember the Rabbinic prof's name because I didn't know how to spell it and she was also the youngest of the three.)

2 comments:

  1. I like Mouw's thinking. I remember Ravi Zacharias sharing about a debate he had with a scholar of another faith. They did not agree with each other of course but he openly commended Ravi for properly representing his views.

    I think that is important though it is soooooo hard to do. :-( So for me if someone will at least say that I honestly tried, I will be satisfied :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i know. :)

    ReplyDelete