Tuesday, July 20, 2010

things to think about

Last week, I officially recognized and celebrated the fact that I've been taking baby steps in my work! This week, I have to gather up my courage and do more of it.....But I know now that I can make some headway in work as long as they are baby steps and as long as I don't let fear shackle me down. I need to keep moving forward after a bit of rest.


Last week also showed how mistaken I was to assume that I've seen--and thus am no longer surprised by or have difficulty with--a lot of different kinds of relational troubles. Since this is a blog that only friends have access to, I feel like I can be a bit more up front about how I feel but sometimes I wonder how much of what I write counts as gossip too, so I'll try to be as general as possible without giving away this person's identity.

I stuff my foot in my mouth on a regular basis and I think I did that again this past weekend. When I asked the person I think I offended if there was anything wrong, he just said "Oh, I'm just tired." (No, this is not a romantic relationship but for reasons that will become clear, gender is important to this story.) To cut a long story short, I took him at his word at that point but as time passed, he was clearly sulking and acting in a passive aggressive manner, i.e. he wouldn't talk as he normally did and if i said anything, he gave monosyllabic answers.  This became especially clear in group conversations when he engaged others in the group but then looked tired or bored when I spoke. After awhile, I just ignored him and refused to speak to him until he spoke to me--and he did when he saw that I engaged others in conversation rather than him.

(Nota bene: I'm now very good at being self-sufficient in social situations. I wouldn't like to live on a desert island by myself but I suspect that I would find a way to live a happy and fulfilled life regardless.)

Hanging out with someone who acts in this way is really not much fun and I am quite convinced now after several observations that he acted that way because I had somehow hurt his fragile, little male ego. If I'm right, and I think I am, then I feel very sorry for my female friends who are married to men who don't know how to deal with conflict because I was around this guy for only a few hours and I was tired, upset, and hurt myself. I can't imagine being married to someone who treated me like this off and on and off and on again.

I know I was wrong to have been careless with my words and honestly, I do my very best to guard my tongue most of the time--which is why I avoid people when I'm tired and can no longer guard my tongue--and yes, I do have wrong ideas in my head still and will invariably act and speak in ways that are a reflection of those wrong ideas. But rather than have someone revert to passive aggressive behavior, I'd much prefer a gentle confrontation if possible, and if not, I'd even prefer a shouting match so that the issues are at least on the table. Right now, I can't even apologize for what I said because I'm not 100% sure that what I said is what's bugging him. (I also suspect that several other things happened that chipped away at his ego that afternoon so I am not wholly to blame, but I very much wish I could be certain.)

Well, when I was younger and wasn't as aware or in control of my emotional responses, I had the great luck of being surrounded by more mature people who loved me and didn't turn away from me even when I hurt them. It's payback time now. I shouldn't turn away from friendship with this guy and I can only hope that over time, things will get better. (No, I'm not interested in a romantic relationship with this guy but I honor and enjoy platonic friendships greatly.) In the meantime, I need to go brush up my skills at smiling vapidly and acting in a deferential manner. And if I can't do those things, I'll just act like the quiet, reserved, serious person that I sometimes am anyway.

I wish I had a better answer to this. And I hope to God that if I do get married, my husband would have learned a lot of conflict resolution skills. (Yes, I need to keep working on my own too!)

6 comments:

  1. I think this guy is what they call a SNAG (Sensitive New Age Guy).

    My boyfriend says, let him sulk and give him a day or two, he'll get over it.
    My Finnish friend says, just talk to him about other things and try to find out what went wrong.

    BTW, You wrote... "In the meantime, I need to go brush up my skills at smiling vapidly..." Is that like often, or like a vampire?

    ReplyDelete
  2. SNAG? New and interesting acronym for me :-)

    Yeah, male egos are more fragile than we care to admit ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) vapid = empty-headed. and hey, i thought SNAGs were more sensitive to others' feelings!!! :(

    it sounds like SNAGs are very much like the old guys except now they feel freer to let their hurt feelings show. i prefer guys who are able to work through their own emotions by themselves and then respond with patience and grace. what are they called???

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...those are called NIX (not in existence).

    Perhaps that is why God said that 'man shall not live alone'. He (man) needs another to help him along the way, and created woman, to be his help-mate (pun intended)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. is your bf a NIX?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL @ NIX! That's hilarious. Yeah, let him go to his little man cave to sulk. Whatever you do, don't chase him into the cave! You asked him and gave him the chance to talk about it. After that, it's out of your hands. Sounds like an annoying little cry baby!

    ReplyDelete