Thursday, August 12, 2010

another random conversation in my head

I often daydream about conversing with different friends especially when I'm trying to think things through. It usually means I'm missing this or that particular old friend and wishing that I could actually talk to the person. But anyway, I was trying to describe Col to an old friend, and in this imaginary conversation, I said, "Oh, he is like CCM!" And as practice, in my head, I thought of how to first describe Col in positive ways.

He is warm. He is affectionate. He enjoys being around people. He is devoted.

But he can also be stifling. Smothering. Obsessive!!

Col and CCM are the kind of guys that are very attractive to most women but not to someone like me. I think I'm realizing that I'm actually pretty happy with some things about being single....such as not having someone breathe down my neck.

I agreed--a little reluctantly--to play mixed doubles with Col in a competition that one of his business organizations is putting on so we played together last weekend at one of the clubs we both go to, and he was also more "attentive" when we were watching other pairs play. But as much as I appreciate his friendship, I realized that I'm really glad we're only platonic friends because......I need my space. Someone like Col would drive me nuts. He called me 4-5 times on Sat and I didn't pick up because I didn't want to talk at that point and later he said he called me so many times because he was "worried" about me.

????!!!

Theoretically, I appreciate the concern but really, I'll ask for help if I need it and I don't want to be picking up the phone because someone else is worrying about me when there's nothing to worry about. Does that make sense or am I crazy??? 

So, I hope this just means that I'm not interested in having Col be an intimate part of my life, and I hope it does not mean that I'm meant to be single forever although if it's a choice between a guy like Col or being single, I choose to be single. Maybe I'd be happy to have a different kind of guy breathe down my neck, although I'm pretty sure a guy who's independent and busy would probably work better for me. Like I said, guys like Col would be great for most women, just not someone like me.

5 comments:

  1. :-) I don't know what to say! And that is a comment with no hidden meanings

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) i think the problem will go away once the competition is over because i don't partner col on a regular basis anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, he sounds like a bit too much! Take a chill pill, buddy. He needs to call once, leave a VM and then give it time, like most normal people do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, i ignore VMails!!! i'm as extreme as he is.... :p

    anyway, the day went fairly well but i won't be devoting so much time to non-competitive competitions from now on. it was more of a chance for people to network really and it's just not my cup of tea OR the kinds of circles i need to be networking with, i.e. the non-academic. i was tired from having to socialize so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha, I know the feeling : )

    ReplyDelete