Sunday, January 22, 2006

final NYC adventure

Last stop in NYC was the UN, where I met up with Yang Laoshi (Chinese prof at Bates) and his wife. Here we are in the General Assembly. Yang Laoshi's wife is an interpreter at the UN so it was really fun to be able to go where regular tourists could not go. I saw the booths where the interpreters did their jobs, sat in the Malaysian UN delegate's chair, and walked right up to the podium in the front where all the fancy buttons and mikes are. The seat of power, ooohhh . . .

Yang Laoshi's wife also had great stories to tell. Apparently, sometime in the last week or so it rained so hard the roof started leaking in the General Assembly (I know, can you imagine??!!). Water started dripping on the French delegate's head, and he looked up and said, "What have I done to deserve this?"

Sorry, it was funnier when Yang Laoshi's wife told it. I'm not really good with funny stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment