Wednesday, November 12, 2008

need to post more often

When I was trying to fall asleep last night, I composed a blog post in my head. But forgot everything this morning. I need to post more often because my mind is like a sieve.

Anyway, my laptop crashed and refuses to start so yesterday I ordered a new laptop, one that I've been salivating over for the past few months, thanks to friends who have also been looking out for new laptops. Deciding to purchase the Asus eee was a lot less painful because of their painstaking research!

I really like this model because it is light, has a solid state drive, and still manages to retain an almost normal-sized keyboard (95%). And oh yeah, the price isn't bad either. I think there are other models out there for about the same price or cheaper but they use regular hard drives instead of the SSD.

This also means that I will have to make the shift over to Linux--I'm nervous--but since there are fewer viruses out there that are targeted at Linux, it should mean fewer crashes!! I'm tired of losing my files and settings.

The next time the humanities center here holds a "home computer clinic," I'll bring my old laptop in and have them reinstall Windows because it's a free service anyway. The computer they've set up for me in my office (the one I'm using to type this post!) is also Windows so if I really need Windows, I'll have access to it. I could get the clinic to install Windows on my new laptop as well but I think I'm ready to give Linux a try.

2 comments:

  1. OOOOO!! New toy!!! Ok, new work toy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :):) well, nowadays i try to do work only in the office, so since this laptop will be my home computer, it is more of a play toy except when i have to answer emails for work.

    ReplyDelete