Thursday, December 17, 2009

blessings for the journey

My small group prayed for me last night and it calmed my anxieties about the upcoming move. It's good to be reminded that the work of Christ in our lives is what's most important. And it was also good to receive affirmation of my witness during my time with them although I'm mindful of how much more work remains to be done in my life and my character.

I am closer to those who were also part of the group last year but there are more people this year whom I haven't really gotten to know and they don't really know me well either so it was very powerful to hear these words from them because they clearly weren't speaking from their knowledge of who I am and what I usually struggle with. These are a few visions, either in images and words of exhortation, that a few in the group received:

  • An image of me sliding down a water-slide, holding up my arms in glee.
  • Confidence--that I am well-prepared to do my job. (This was really powerful as I've been worried about my syllabi and class prep.)
  • An image of Christ in HK, but then that image shifts back to Christ with me in the here and now as well.
Some of my friends and mentors think that religion assuages our indignation over injustice or it relieves fears and comforts us in our loss. And all that is true, but my time with my small group last night reminded me precisely that Christ has called us to be salt and light, and that we are to love as He loves wherever we find ourselves.

My work is important and I'm glad for it and I believe that the work I do will be to God's glory--at least that is my fervent prayer!!--but it is all that only insofar as it remains off-centered.

1 comment:

  1. I keep forgetting how close it is to your move!!

    Numbers 6:24-26
    24 "'"The LORD bless you and keep you; 25 the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; 26 the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace."'

    ReplyDelete