Saturday, November 25, 2006

Borat

Saw the movie, Borat, two days ago, and it was quite funny, but not as biting a social commentary as we were hoping. Went with a group of folks from my dorm. Again. Yes, I will have very few friends outside the dorm soon.

They had a few very funny clips, esp at the beginning of the movie, but toward the middle, it was just getting more and more unbelievable. I couldn't believe some of the reactions of the real-life people who were caught on film reacting to the "fictional character" Borat.

The section where Borat visited a charasmatic church in Texas was particularly disturbing. It wasn't the fault of the filmmaker's part, I don't think. Visiting charasmatic churches can be a strange enough experience sometimes, but actually seeing them on film . . . sorry, I'm distancing myself even more from that particular aspect of Christianity!

3 comments:

  1. I've yet to see the film (but plan to VERY soon), but several of the film's participants (i.e. the ones who look like @sses) are suing the filmmakers for false pretenses or something like that. Apparently, the producers mislead the people who signed the waivers. I heard that the frat boys specifically had the strongest case, as they were intoxicated when they signed the release waiver. Wonder how that's going to play out in the courtrooms...

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) that'll definitely be interesting . . . the frat boys came off so badly it really wasn't even funny because you know that's exactly what they're like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like they got their comeuppance, then! I should see the movie before I judge, but I know the type... I hope the frat boys don't win, as it seems justice has already been served.

    ReplyDelete