Saturday, June 02, 2007

lessons I need to keep re-learning

I spent the week before I could move into my summer sublet staying at my friend Heather's home. I didn't know her husband, Chris, before that but we became friends after the week. We had a few good conversations, and we talked a lot about cars too because I was thinking of getting one.

Two things that struck me from our conversations:

1. A car is not an investment. Few people, if any, ever make money from owning a car. Buying a car is like digging a hole in the ground and then pouring your money into it.

2. People are more important than money. I have to remind myself of this one because I get so anxious about money.

I have to re-examine my relationship to money because even though I'm not the type of person who has to make tons and tons of money, I am the type of person who is certain that she will never make a ton of money during her lifetime. Consequently, I have to be frugal and careful with what I do have. This in and of itself is not bad, but at the same time, sometimes I can make life difficult for myself. I'm try not to make life difficult for others if I don't have money (which sometimes manifests itself as a fierce--and not always necessary--independence).

I don't know. I suppose I will always be negotiating this. I love my new (used) car, and I bought a more pricey one because I don't want to have to keep sending the car to the mechanic's. But at the same time, I think I will always feel a tinge of guilt for owning such a lovely car.

And I will continue to remind myself that blessings are meant to be shared, and I will give rides to others as often as I can. But the problem with giving rides usually isn't the financial cost, it's the time it takes to drive people here or there to run their errands!

But I'll deal with this when I need to. :)

3 comments:

  1. Weird that I also still have a twinge of guilt for owning a nice 2nd hand car. I know cos I find myself explaining the history of how I got the car to justify its purchase :-) The story is valid of course and the purchase makes a lot of good sense ... but why oh why do I have this need to let people know? :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya ya ya!!! that's exactly how it is with me!!

    and of course, we all know people who own multiple cars, bought new, and of the BMW-Mercedes-Audi-whatever kind too!!! they don't seem to have the same guilt we do!!!!

    well, i suppose we all have different struggles . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have those same two lessons to learn. I paid $15,000 for a car that went out on me three years later... I would have done just as well to buy used, and next time, that's exactly what I'm doing. I wish I had your guilt- it's better than my regret : )

    ReplyDelete