Sunday, August 05, 2007

feeling ill


Have a bad cold (AGAIN!) and feeling yucky despite going full force with all meds.

Trying to figure out if I want to line up an apt for spring NOW, or wait until Nov to see if any thing opens up for the spring. I hate making decisions, I really do. One of the apts I'm considering is a basement apt, and it doesn't get much light, but I'm already thinking of getting a "light box" to help with my sleeping problems, so it won't matter much that the apt is kinda dark, right?

Saw the sleep doctor on Friday, and he suggested sitting in front of a light box for 30 mins when I wake up. Will also be going in for an overnight sleep study, although the doc seems to think that my probs are due to bad habits and stress. Among the (very impossible) habits that he wants me to inculcate are:

- no bright lights (TV, computer, reading lights) as soon as possible after dark.
---> What will I do??? Sit around and shake my legs? No work??? Sigh.

- no heavy exercise after dinner-time (6pm)
---> Most of my badminton buddies can only play after work!

- no naps
---> I limit myself to one nap (15 mins) a day otherwise I don't know how I'd make it.

- no thinking or reading in bed
---> This means I have to do all my work sitting up straight (no sofas, no couches for me because of my back problems, remember?)

Life is hard, very hard. But I suppose if I do all this, my life will actually resemble most normal people's . . . except that I can't play badminton after 7pm.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is unrealistic ... :-(
    How to survive without mental stimulation at night ... esp if you are a night person?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i know. the thing is, i suspect that if i want to remain a night person, i can skip some of these, but that means i need to be able to sleep until 9 or 10am, which might not be feasible when i teach or start working. so, eventually, i will need to force myself to go to bed early if i want to wake up early. i will need a light box if i want to shift my sleep cycle. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yucky. Sounds like a big pain in the arse to me... how 'bout an old fashioned resolution... a very small glass of red wine... you'll sleep like a baby ; )

    Your enabler,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete