Sunday, January 25, 2009

CNY

Monday will be the first day of the new year. I can't remember how I celebrated last year and I probably didn't, but it's still a little scary how I have absolutely no recollection of what happened. Or what didn't happen, as the case may be.

This year, I feel a bit odd as I don't have close Chinese friends here. I get along well with the other postdocs in my program and I'm really glad to be friends with them but it's too soon for me to think of them as "close friends." A couple of M'sian friends of a M'sian friend are in town but I don't really know them well enough to want to celebrate with them. I kinda feel like CNY should be celebrated with family or close friends. In any case, because of my grandfather's passing a few months ago, I don't think I'm supposed to celebrate this year anyway.

Well, a few of us from my postdoc group will be going to a restaurant in Chinatown to "celebrate," but only next weekend. To them, it will seem like I'm ceebrating and I don't mind pretending. But I don't really feel like celebrating this year although I will be glad for family and friends who will celebrate!

4 comments:

  1. Ever since my grandfather passed away,m there was not motivation for our traditional family gatherings for Eve dinner nor New Year breakfast. With the passing on of various members and with us grand kids all over the place ... traditions changed.

    This year, my mum is having Eve dinner at my aunt's (her sister)... and we had ours with my aunt (another of my mum's sister here in NZ) which was in a way strange as they had friends over whom we hardly know. But it was nice.

    Then we joined some church friends and their friends for the 2nd half of the night ... I guess they represent our "new family" here.

    But times have changed, right? My sons were not around and neither were some of the children of the families gathered as they were away at a music festival.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) yes, traditions change and that's not always a bad thing. it'll be nice to get *some* kind of tradition going at some point!!! :)

    still the most important thing is to share a meal. :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:52 AM

    I know what you mean...this is the first CNY I spent not doing anything at all. I wish to celebrate with ppl, but things just turned out differently. I feel a little sad but life goes on, right? Regardless, God is with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, it's funny, now i feel nostalgic for all those CNY celebrations in Ithaca . . . !!!

    ReplyDelete