Friday, January 16, 2009

retreat

Haven't been able to do much this past week besides teach. On Tues, I went up to UCSB to meet an old friend from college who was visiting UCSB, and an old friend from C_rnell who is now doing his MA there. It was lovely catching up with both friends as we walked on the beach. UCSB is right on the water, and the irony is that even after about 5 months here in LA, I have yet to go down to the beach in Santa Monica and I really must go soon.

I just realized that I must be coming down with a cold and that's why I've been feeling so drained and tired the past couple of days. Well, I hope that's the answer. It's also probably because I've had a rough few months and my body is really asking me to slow down. Spending time with old friends on Tuesday was truly marvelous. It's nice to be around friends you can just say things to without needing to "perform" any kind of smartness or wellness or wholeness. Sometimes, we just need to talk and be heard. (Advice is nice but not always necessary.) Hopefully I was that kind of friend for my friends too.

I'm trying out a recipe for egg tarts because I will be going to a friend's place for dinner tomorrow night. I might have over-cooked them a little. But they smell pretty good.

3 comments:

  1. I am understanding more and more what you mean when you say that we are in many ways similar :-)

    ... Except for the jam tart making ... I am now more into experimenting with non dessert foods except for my "smoothies" ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, what kind of smoothies??!! paul, you must start posting your recipes on your blog!!!

    then i can learn *even* more from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I experiment based on a popular form of drink from Cambodia called "tagalog".

    Bottom line is that I use whatever is available... which is consistent with my cooking style.

    ReplyDelete