Sunday, October 01, 2006

accidents and offices

Was trying to get paper towels in the bathroom in my dept building (see, it's dangerous for me to hang around there!), and my hand slipped from the dispenser handle, and I cut my middle finger on the metal edging. It isn't that bad, but I need to use a band aid and can't really put any pressure on the area, so typing is a little complicated.

Oh yes, and I now have two office spaces I can use! I share a large student office space with 3 other students in the Kahin Center (houses the Southeast Asian Program), and it has a very large window but walking back from the Center is scary at night because there's a stretch of road that has bushes and trees on both sides. You can't tell if anyone's hiding in those bushes. One side is a cemetery (very picturesque during the day), and the other side is the back lawns of a couple of frat houses.

Prof 2 is in the Asian American Studies Program, and they have a very small office that 3 profs share. All the profs have larger offices in their home departments (my prof has a very sunny office in the English dept) so they only use the tiny shared office to hold their weekly office hours. Anyway, Prof 2 got the administrator to give me the keys to that office so I can use it when none of the other profs are there.

I mostly need the space to work at night because Rockefeller Hall is located in the center of campus, the elevator in the building is locked at night (and I have a key to that too!), and the big doors to the fourth floor where the office is are also locked.

That way when I'm in the office, I feel very safe because only staff/faculty have building access. I've had a somewhat . . . "interesting" relationship with this prof in the past (Prof 2 from a prev post) but this year's it's been going really well, thankfully. Oh the little things that make grad students happy . . .

4 comments:

  1. Sorry about your owie, Z : ( It could be very convenient that it's your middle finger... You should splinter it or put it in some sort of cast so that you can "accidentally" flip people off when you're angry : )

    Glad you have other office options... the one next to the graveyard sounds pretty spooky... and dangerous... carry a whistle and some mace!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:10 PM

    eh, did you get my email ah? i never received any responses from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, won't be walking by the cemetery at night . . . i still have my bates whistle, actually! no mace though. i'm always terrified that i'll accidentally spray it into my own eyes instead of at my attacker.

    yeah, he'll probably fall down laughing then i can stumble away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's hilarious. Yeah, stay away from the mace, Z! I used to have this self-protection alarm. It was like a little box and if you pull the string it lets out this really loud, ear-splittingly high noise. Can hear it for blocks. Of course, I accidentally pulled it out in a classroom full of people. They hated me.

    ReplyDelete