Sunday, October 01, 2006

no turkey trip

Was accepted to present at a conference in Turkey this Nov, but finally told the organizers I wouldn't be able to go because:

-- the ticket for the 4-day conference would be $820.
-- travel time one way would be around 20 hrs.
-- I haven't actually written the conference paper, so it would force me to write something, but doing it under pressure might turn the paper into something I may not be able to use for my dissertation. And right now, the dissertation should be top priority.

I felt really sad about not being able to see Turkey but I'm also actually very relieved because now I can read, think, and write at a saner pace. Still . . . Turkey! Sounds like it would've been fun, but as a friend who is now a prof on the West Coast said, if I don't have the mental or physical capacity to enjoy the trip . . .

(FALL IS HERE. VERY BRISK AND CHILLY.)

1 comment:

  1. It must be hard to prioritize when you have the option to go to TURKEY!! Wow. But, in the end, I concur...

    My two cents: If you focus on your dissertation, you'll be able to do a better job and will consequently be invited to travel the world even more often : )

    ReplyDelete