Friday, October 27, 2006

More thoughts on T-ride

Yes, I'm having a lovely time living in T-ride, and it really feels like a family sometimes. K-gan (the guy on the left in the picture below) has adopted me as one of his older sisters; H-nok, a 4th year Korean grad student is his other older sister, and we're both also close friends. But I think we mostly think of each other as many cousins living in the same house. :) (28 of us this year, and 30 next year!)

It's not always fun and laughter though. Last Saturday, we had a preferment meeting where we decided to offer 4 spots to high-schoolers who completed the summer program, and put 8 of them on a wait-list. We began the meeting at 9am, and it was 10pm when we finally ended our meeting.

After that, some of us were really mad at some of us, and most people decided to have a party and have a few drinks to restore general goodwill and harmony in the house. Me included. I didn't drink that much, but I certainly had to drink a bit to regain happy feelings toward a few people in the house!

It was a "closed meeting" so I'm not allowed to talk about what went on during the meeting; I'll just say that it was sometimes vicious and combative. Everyone was really tired and unproductive this week.

Tomorrow night, most of us will be going to an overnight trip to a nearby yurt for a light camping trip. It's an enclosed space that will be warm, plus we'll have sleeping bags so it's not going to be too rough. I didn't want to go at first because I was SO tired out after that super-long meeting last weekend that I thought I needed some time away from T-riders. But since most of my friends from the house are going, I decided last minute to go with them too. :) Can't have them bond without me!!

2 comments:

  1. Not sure what a "yurt" is, but it sounds like fun! Happy bonding : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. a yurt is a big round tent, originally found in mongolia. ours was a fake one made up of a lot of heavy tarp that flapped very LOUDLY throughout the night because of the wind and rain. most of us were kept awake, partly by the cold and noise, but i did get some sleep after i managed to free my leg from being colonized by john (he put his pillow on top of my feet so that he would be more comfortable).

    ReplyDelete