Monday, October 08, 2007

no respect

I'm really struggling with anger with a couple of my profs who have not written their recommendation letters for me. Some of the application guidelines state specifically that rec letters have to be postmarked by a certain date. And I've sent them email after email asking them to write my letters for me, and two of them have not replied AT ALL. That is just ethically wrong.

Another friend (who is now a prof at Upenn) told me that these two profs went down to the city for the opera this weekend, and then they were going on to the Jersey coast for the rest of Fall Break. I'm sorry. Opera? Jersey coast? Versus possibly getting a job?? I mean, couldn't they have written my letters BEFORE they went on their break? I understand that profs need to be protective of their time, and I think they should be. But this is ridiculous. They have repeatedly been unavailable. I think I've sent them at least 4-5 emails about this.

I'm really, really angry because two of my deadlines have passed, and two others are coming up (Oct 9 and 10). I hope I don't have to look them in the face any time soon because I don't think I can hide the fact that I have absolutely no respect for them at all.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:03 AM

    try calling them (when you're not angry). also offer to write a draft letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wise words by naomibi ....
    stay calm - it won't help you to blast them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not that dumb. :)

    there's more to the story now, but too tired to write about it. maybe another time.

    ReplyDelete