Saturday, January 05, 2008

working through memories

I have a very vivid memory from when I was about four years old. I was in kindergarten, and our uniform was white and turquoise--a little sailor suit, if you can imagine it. The kindergarten was at a crossroads of a major intersection, close to the main streets leading out to the center of town.

It was a public holiday, and a few days earlier, I had given either my mom or my dad a notice from the kindergarten saying that there were no classes for the day. I guess there was a miscommunication because that morning, my aunt dropped me off at the kindergarten anyway. I walked into the kindergarten, and the guard was in his sarong--shirtless, I think--and he told me (and my aunt too?) that there was no school that day. I don't remember much after that; I remember seeing cars zooming by on my left, and a very large tree on my right.

My mom tells me that she remembers driving down that road on her way to work--I think she and my dad figured out that I wasn't supposed to be at kindergarten--and seeing me walk on the side of the road, trying to find my way home.

I feel like that four year old right now.

3 comments:

  1. wow. This is a major childhood life incident! I have a few of these as well ....

    p/s I am back in NZ ... and now catching up on my blog reading among other things

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of these days we need to sit down over pots of tea and talk (and laugh and cry) our way through these memories! this is something else we share.

    maybe there is truth to nurture vs. nature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of truth in both nature and nurture!!

    ReplyDelete