Monday, January 15, 2007

Jet-lagged in Ithaca

Got here Sunday, about 4am (EST; Malaysian time: Sun, 5pm) after about 35-hours of car, bus, and plane rides and some waiting about. I'm now serious jet-lagged. Wanted to take a nap at about 11:30am, and ended up waking up only at 7:30pm. Still tired, so I hope I'll get to fall asleep again tonight.

The T-ride branches at Cornell and Michigan have a 3-day seminar (this year's topic is on US-China relations) that I was supposed to be at too, but they set the date a weekend earlier than I expected, and I didn't want to change my plane tickets. Everyone's away at Michigan now and I think I'm the only one in the House. Someone's been into the kitchen though (lights turned on, some plates washed), and I'm hoping the chef is just in doing minor prep work. Hmmmm. I'm a little scared, but not terribly so. Everything in the House, and in Ithaca, is really quiet now, and I like quiet.:)

The trip was pretty good. I got to have 5-seats to myself on the leg from Stockholm to Newark, and managed to sleep for about 4 hours, I think. That really helped. Had a bit of stomach problems right before I boarded the plane in Malaysia, and as I had had the same problems off and on during my 5 weeks there, I was a little panicky.

Decided to try a little red wine when the attendants gave us our dinner (soon enough after take-off) , and was relieved that it helped unclench my stomach muscles. It started working after a few sips and I was so, so thankful. Otherwise, I'd have sat there for hours feeling awful. A little red wine does indeed settle the stomach.:):)

Now, I need to find something to settle the homesickness. It's not a horrible case, just a little one. But I'm definitely thinking that going home for good soon may not be such a bad idea after all. All this flying back and forth between two lives is rich and I learn so much; but it really isn't at all easy.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:40 AM

    You poor thing.

    Have a peaceful time recovering.

    I'm meeting your sis tomorrow to pickup the gift.

    Thanks a million. It's deeply appreciated as we understand the opportunity cost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers... 35 hours is rough (glad you at least had a little red wine to help pass the time)! I can see why you'd want to just stay in Malaysia... glad you're getting some clarity on the matter.

    I feel like I sound like a broken record, but here I go: Get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey hope you are doing well (did u eat too much b4 u boarded the plane?). maybe you can pay a visit to rochester and keep me company. i lack malaysian company laaaaaa.....!
    btw, i drank white wine on my flight back home and that particularly knocked me out. didnt get jet lag! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. cat: yeah, 35 hrs, and dealing with homesickness every time i leave home again . . . there's a limit to how many years i can keep doing this!!!

    joanne: next time i'll try white wine!!!!!!!!!!!! okay lah, i'll try to visit you in rochester when i got time lah. siow ying also leaving. :(

    ReplyDelete