Saturday, February 14, 2009

oh well, whatever


I know that it's probably not very "spiritual" to take pleasure in praise, but I can't help it, I am going to take pleasure in a word of affirmation from an unexpected source. Yesterday, I sent my former supervisor something I wrote recently but I didn't expect her to read it--for very good reasons that I shouldn't go into anywhere--and she wrote back this morning to say that she glanced through it very quickly and that she thinks I have made "enormous strides." What's even more exciting is that she also indicated that she might read my document more carefully in the near future to offer guidance on how I might proceed in the coming months.

Forgive me, I am only human. With this piece of good news, I am looking forward to a very restful and happy weekend. (Minus the vacuuming, mopping, laundry, and bill-paying of course.)

2 comments:

  1. I do not think it is wrong to take pleasure in praise. In fact I think we do need to receive be praised every now and then.


    Here's a few interesting passage to ponder ...

    Matthew 21:15
    15 But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things he did and the children shouting in the temple area, "Hosanna to the Son of David," they were indignant.
    16 "Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him. "Yes," replied Jesus, "have you never read, "'From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise'?"

    1 Corinthians 11:2
    2 I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the teachings, just as I passed them on to you.

    2 Corinthians 5:12
    12 We are not trying to commend ourselves to you again, but are giving you an opportunity to take pride in us, so that you can answer those who take pride in what is seen rather than in what is in the heart.


    Matthew 25:
    19 "After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them.
    20 The man who had received the five talents brought the other five. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.'
    21 "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
    22 "The man with the two talents also came. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.'
    23 "His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, paul. :) sometimes when i read passages like these, i think it only applies to "god's work." that just shows you how far i have to go to de-indoctrinate my mind, esp re the so-called secular/sacred divide.

    ReplyDelete