Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sometimes, I wonder what I learned in graduate school. I don't mean that to be as critical as it first comes across. Now that I have some idea of how I'd actually like to revise the dissertation, I am sometimes too impatient with myself--I wish I'd read a lot more during grad school! Although, I do think that in grad school, we are forced to read so much so quickly and in such fragmentary ways that we retain hardly anything of what we'd read. This is why most of of my teachers took 10 years to complete their PhD's! And now we are expected to finish them in 5-6 years?

2 comments:

  1. 10 years to finish a PhD? Wow. That is dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) now, i don't think it's that long, AND i see why it's necessary. there's just so much to read.

    ReplyDelete